Starfish SRS Fund

This blog was set up to share my past and future experiences investing the cash in the SRS account. Just to give you a little bit of background, the Singapore government encourages individuals to set aside a lump sum of money each year for retirement purposes and SRS stands for "Supplementary Retirement Scheme".

For more on the SRS scheme, please refer to the information found on IRAS website. From 2006 till 2010, individuals can contribute $11,475 a year to the SRS account and $12,750 from 2011 onwards. The amount contributed will allow tax relief for individuals, however, they will also be penalised if they do early withdrawals before the age of 62 and subject to other terms and conditions.This account is only suitable for individuals who don't intend to make any early withdrawals.

Anyway, back to Starfish SRS Fund. I started contributions to the SRS fund from 2006. Thus from 2006 to 2011, the total amount of contributions amounted to ($11,475 x 5 = $57,375) + $12,750 =  $70,125. As of 30 June 2012, the capital gains, dividends and interest received earned over this period amounted to $9,880. 

The Starfish SRS fund is worth around $80,000 today. At the date of this posting, $40,572 is in cash and the balance is the value of the portfolio. The latest portfolio acquisition was China Fishery Group which i shared with you a few days back. 

The current portfolio looks like this:

SRS Portfolio as of 6 July 2012

Estimated cash as of 6 July 2012 - $40,572 (yet to receive my June statement from the bank). The listing above will not show the dividend income earned from holding those investments.

It is interesting to note that my investment criteria has changed since its inception. As such, Raffles Education would not have made it to my portfolio today if i have apply the same investment criteria. When i first started, I was looking for 'capital gains and growth' but over time, my views have changed.  

From 3 years ago, I wanted to create a long term portfolio that can give me a regular stream of passive income. In this regard, the "growth and capital gains criteria" has since been replaced by "strong fundamentals and regular income" criteria. Capital gains, if any, will be an added 'bonus''.  The responsibility for "growth and capital gains" has been shifted to my more risky Ninja Master Fund.

I will share more of the investment criteria in my next posting and why i selected those stocks above. I will also share on some of the stocks which I like to add to my Starfish SRS portfolio. Will update when the time permits. 

If you would like to subscribe to emails or receive updates from this blog, please do so on the right hand side of this blog.I have opted for dynamic views for both the 2 new blogs i created, hope you will like it.

Comments

  1. Was "sequence risk" a criterion in separating your 2 bucket fund strategy for the purpose of retirement planning?

    Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sequence-risk.asp#ixzz20I5WHe70

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, me not so cheem lah :) hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your sharing. Its very helpful for young adults like me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure, after all...i was young once? :P :S :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts