Portfolio Construction - Stocks or Bonds?

It is always inspiring to look at Dividend Warrior's blog. No bullshit and basically he just show you his CDP statement. A lot of bloggers wouldn't be able to do that and half the time, you wonder if what they posted was true.

DW's portfolio comprise a diversified pool of REITs and blue chip stocks. Stable portfolio that generates a nice compounded return. Congratulations for reaching a new milestone! 👍


How about Mr. IPO's portfolio?

The way in which i constructed my portfolio over the last few years was different DW. I have previously blogged about the bond ladder in 2016 and i actually acted on it. 😂

Over the last 3 years, i have built up a bond portfolio that comprise investment-grade level bonds (not the Hyflux type) and as the bonds were of investment grade, I was able to finance new bonds using leverage. The bond portfolio generates annual income of around $65,000 (after deducting the interest expenses) and the levered return on my bond portfolio is around 8%. I will continue to add on to the bond ladder when i see quality bonds being launched. The downside of this bond portfolio is that it is majority in USD. As such, i am subject to foreign currency risk (unless i migrate to US when i retire).

Today, my portfolio comprise 73% investment-grade bonds and 17% stock and 10% cash. For the purpose of this chart, I only included the cash in my SRS bank account. 😎



Stocks portfolio

Now that i have built up a portfolio of bonds (which i will continue to add one more bond this year), I have also decided that it is time to take a more active approach towards my stock portfolio. On that note, i have fully divested my holdings in Netlink Trust from my SRS account (wifey still keep her portion). In addition, i have also divested Starhill REIT. 

These two counters have ran up in tandem with the rest of the REIT sector due to the benign interest rate outlook from the US and i have taken the chance to sell them. I will redeploy the cash that is "released" by Netlink and Starhill into other counters in due course. 

The selection criteria will fall into one of the 3 categories: "growth stock", "dividend stocks" or "REITs". I will likely be more focused on dividend-paying stocks as well as REITs. The stock portfolio is actually doing fine as well, generating a yield (on cost) of 6.95%. 

Passive income


Overall, the entire portfolio (less the two counters sold) generates $81,750 per year. You see some negative cash flows in Feb and Aug, as my loans are now rolled-over on a monthly basis. The current interest rate on my USD loans are around 3.3%. If you want a lower interest, it is cheaper to borrow in Euros or JPY, however, it will not match the underlying assets. I may switch to either currency when they strengthen against the USD. 

If you have read about my goal no.2 for 2019, it will be to hit $100,000 passive income per year. I will most likely achieve it when i buy another bond later this year. 

Conclusion

I have decided to use bonds to reach my passive income goal because at my stage of life, i want more "certainty of cash flow" and less volatility. Now that i have built up the bond portfolio to a decent size, i will relook into the stock portfolio and allocate more cash to build up that component as well. The stocks portfolio will likely be more "volatile" but i will stick to the more "blue chip" stocks. 

Happy SRS / Retirement planning.

Comments

  1. Hi Mr IPO,

    Long time reader 1st time commenting. Your post regarding IPO review or this SRS blog here has given me insights time to time.

    Wish to get some comment/feedback for my future investing path. I am of risk adverse profile. Currently, my investments are mainly SSB and retail SGD bonds (Temasek & SIA) together with short-term endowment and some FD.

    I enjoy "certainty of cash flow" like you mentioned. I am looking into REITS or stock or foreign investment grade retails bonds like JP Morgan,Bank of America, Citi Group etc.

    Any advice if i should do foreign bonds or i should start looking at stock/REITS? As i am using my own money and not using leverage, thus i can hold for long term and ignore the short term fluctuation of paper loss.

    Thx in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are risk averse, then bonds will suit your personality better and allow you to deploy more cash at one go. However, you must be comfortable with USD exposure based on the foreign bonds you mentioned.

      If you buy REITs, then you must be prepared for some volatility in price. I would advocate REITs over stocks as they produce steady cash yield but you must be prepared for rights issues as well. You may want to nimble slowly as you build up the REIT portfolio. Probably you can ask DW! 🤣

      Delete
  2. Good article on bond ladder. Can you please share the bonds you are holding which is able to generate 65k+ yearly dividend income. Also, how much your money is invested and how much debt for purchasing these bonds? With investment grade bonds and interest cuts, this is more predictable way to earn 8% p.a.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts