Relocating to USA after the Elections

Let's talk about the outcome of the Election Trades mentioned in my past post.

The outcome was mixed 😂 I didn't get a strong mandate from the market. 

Non-SRS account

The mandate was going strong on Monday and my Non-SRS trade unrealised gains was up by more than $8,000. The mandate fizzled out on Tuesday and on the eve of cooling off day on Wednesday, I was "voted" out and the election trades took in $4,627.60 in profits (see table below). 


SRS account

I may have won on my "non-SRS" account but I "lost" on my SRS trades. First, I didn't exit those positions and second, my fingers were itchy and I bought 100,000 shares worth of Lendlease REIT at 69c on Monday. 🤕😂

One reader had asked the rationale behind why some trades were in SRS account and some were not even though they were all SG stocks. 

The SRS stocks are usually held for the longer term. The remaining cash in my SRS account is $105,485, which I will likely allocate to 2 more stocks. 

I am relocating to the US after this elections

I am not sure you received the "stocks election" flyer from the Fifth Person. 😂  

It goes like this... they presented a list of favourite stock counters on SGX

Then they showed you the US stocks and they didn't even include Tesla 😱


You can see that the US stock market has more options, more depth and more returns, when compared to our local counterparts.

I have been wanting to "relocate" to the US for a while now.  I am just using fifth person as an "excuse".  

If i had invested the amount deployed in SGX in April and May to US stocks, my returns would have been much much better.

Anyway, it is not too late to start investing in the US and I finally wired a more substantial amount of USD to my account to build up a portfolio of US stocks. 

Having said that, I still love Singapore so will continue to be invested here. Having traveled to the US frequently, that place is frankly not my cup of tea. 

Thoughts on the election 

I don't think i am running foul of any election rules right ?!?

I consider myself a rational voter. My loyalty lies in Singapore and not with any political parties. I want the best outcome for our children's future. 

Our country is too vulnerable and small and has no natural resources. The key assets we have are the people, so we need a strong, capable and clean government but at the same time, we need opposition to make sure policies are well debated and thought through. We need MPs who really cares about the people - passionate people like Lee Bee Wah and Low Thia Khiang.

We need capable MPs who are able to take care of its citizens and run Singapore efficiently and effectively.  

Here are my thoughts (please don't whack me):
  1. I have no clue what the plan for the East Coast is other than PAP's plan to make sure the sand at East Coast beach remains white  
  2. It takes a lot of courage to be an opposition candidates, so i will not belittle them. Of all the opposition parties, I would rate Workers Party highest. The party is organised and well prepared. I also like the way they conduct and carry themselves. They are trying to win voters on ideals and beliefs
  3. Vivian and Jemus stood out for their ability to articulate and put their views across. Jemus Lim has an impressive CV and no one say he eat potato. Lol. I can't say the same for the other candidates as most of the time, I really don't know they kong simi (what they say) and the ability to articulate and connect is sorely missing
  4. There are two three cornered fights, so highly likely 5 individuals are going to lose their deposit of $13,500 unless they get at least 12.5% of the votes
  5. Aljunied and Hougang people - please continue to vote selflessly. We need some opposition members and all of you deserve a courageous award  
Here are my 5 predictions:
  1. PAP's overall popularity vote coming in at between 60% and 65%  
  2. Peoples Voice team in Pasir Ris would lose their deposits (I really feel bad if i say it is SDA as Desmond Lim has suffered enough but still keep trying). If SDA lose their deposits this time, they should really listen to the voice of the people there
  3. The independent horse 🐎 in Pioneer would lose his deposit even though he received rave reviews for his TV performance. I think the free air time and few minutes of fame is money well spent 😀
  4. Aljunied GRC and Hougang SMC continue to stay blue and the margin to be less than 5%
  5. Tan Cheng Bock is not going to win West Coast, and none of Lim Tean, Chee Soon Juan or Paul Tambyah  
Majulah Singapura - may the best candidates win for Singapore ! 

Comments

  1. which platform are you using for "moving to USA"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saxo. You can take a look at interactive brokers as they just opened an office in Singapore.

      Delete
  2. Your election predictions are pretty accurate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Percentage for Hougang and Aljunied wrong :)

      Delete
  3. Do you invest in Hong Kong shares?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr Ipo,

    I rem u pledge Yr mortgage to get additional funding. I have been offered the same by OCBC, but there is the lawyer fee which they told me not able to waive.

    Just curious how much u paid in yu our case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't charged as there was no external lawyer involved.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts